GP Exercise Referral Scheme (GPERS)
The GP Exercise Referral Scheme is an exercise activity referral program, enabling GPs (practising within the Sutherland Division of General practice boundary) to refer patients that could benefit from increasing their level of physical activity, to an exercise facility, for an individually designed physical activity program.
The GPERS Scheme is a partnership between Sutherland Division of General Practice and the Sutherland Shire Council (Sutherland Shire Leisure Centre) and supported by the Australian Association of Exercise and Sport Science (AAESS).
There are two programs under the GPERS Scheme:
Get Moving! Stay Well!
For patients with at least one risk factor such as Type 2 Diabetes (stable), Clinically Obese, Sedentary, Stress/Anxiety, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Smokers, Raised Cholesterol, Hypertension (stable), Back Pain, PCOS (please refer to the GP information booklet below regarding additional referral criteria and contraindications to exercise).
Community Maintenance Program
For patients that have completed The Sutherland Hospital Cardiac Rehab or Heart and Lung Team Exercise Rehabilitation programs or patients with a previous cardiac history with little or no history (please see additional referral criteria and contra-indications to exercise).
Resources for GPs when referring patients to the Scheme
The following resources are for GPs registered to the Scheme:
|GP Information Booklet
|Referral Form Templates to the Leisure Centres (Sutherland/Engadine)
|Agreement Process (RAP Form) (Sutherland/Engadine)
|Referral Guideline Flowchart
|Patient GPERS Brochure
|Directory of Local Exercise Options/Services
||PDF (176 KB)
|Allied Health Professionals Directory
|Research Project GP Exercise Referral Scheme - Participant Report
- GP Referral Template or Form - only GPs (practising in the Shire) who are registered to the program can use this form.
- GP Information Booklet - a booklet containing details about the Scheme such as; referral criteria, referral pathways, program administration, GP registration information and samples of resources.
- RAP Form - for GP registration to the Scheme prior to referral. This is an acknowledgement of the roles and responsibilities both GPs and Sutherland Leisure Centre play in the Scheme.
- Referral Guideline Flowchart - flow of the referral and evaluation processes
- Patient brochure - outlines information about the Scheme and the costs to the patient
- Directory of Local Exercise Options and Services - other details regarding available options for exercise
Sutherland Division of General Practice (Shire GPs) contact
- Contact Shona Dutton, Chronic Disease Prevention and Management Program Officer at the Division for further details.
Sutherland Shire Leisure Centre contact
- Sutherland Shire Leisure Centre is owned and operated by the Sutherland Shire Council and the site for referral to the Scheme http://www.suthlib.nsw.gov.au
Head Exercise Physiologist
Sutherland Shire Leisure Centre – Sutherland Shire Council
Phone: (02) 8536 9706
Street Address: Rawson Ave, Sutherland, NSW 2232