General Practice Support
The General Practice Support and Development program provides:
- Phone and resource support regarding accreditation
- Mock accreditation visits
- Quarterly Practice Staff Newsletter
- Practice Staff Education and Training
- Accredited Practice Nurses Education and Training
- Opportunities for Network Meetings for Practice Staff and Practice Nurses
- Practice Nurse employment resources
- New practice nurse orientation program
- Promotion of GP health and well being activities.
The Division provides opportunities for GPs to look after their own health and wellbeing by encouraging GPs and general practice staff to participate in an annual community event. Each year the Sutherland Division enters a team into the local Sutherland to Surf 11km Fun run. The team comprises of local GPs, managers, nurses and administrative staff.
Currently 50 (69%) of general practices in Sutherland Shire are accredited to the RACGP Standards in General Practice. The practice support program provides assistance to general practice’s going through accreditation or re-accreditation through mock visits, phone support and resources. Advice is provided to practice’s on key aspects of accreditation which include infection control and sterilization.
Provision of accreditation information and tips is provided through newsletters and education and training. The Practice Staff Newsletter is issued quarterly to all practice’s and provides articles on latest information and updates on all programs areas including, Accreditation, CDM program, Immunization Aged Care, HMR program and education and training dates.
Sutherland division can assist practices in developing and testing a computer disaster recovery plan along with other IT accreditation support. For information visit the Resource Centre. (IT support services).
Practice Nurse Support
Sutherland Division has a strong Practice Nurse program which aims to support all local nurses working in general practice by providing opportunities for networking and peer support, education and training and encouragement for future career development. Practice Nurses are a valuable commodity in general practice and are an integral part of general practice in Sutherland Division. Currently 67 practice nurses are employed in approximately 45% of general practices within Sutherland Division many of which employ more than one nurse. Sutherland Division provides practice nurse support through.
- Regular clinical education which attract Continuing Nurse Education (CNE) points.
- Information and advice through regular communication and articles in the GP Newsletter, Practice Staff Newsletters and an email listserv
- Orientation and mentoring support for nurses new to general practice
- Forum for discussion through Practice Nurse Reference Group
Education and Training
Sutherland Division provides regular opportunities for Practice Staff and Practice Nurse Education and Networking sessions. An Education Calendar is developed annually from requests obtained through surveys. Education runs generally from February to December and is provided as a combination of either lunchtime workshops or evening workshops held in a local venue.
Practice Staff education is provided on general practice management, accreditation and clinical software.
For a complete list of resources for practices including resources for GPs, practice nurses and staff go to the Resource Centre.